Category: Federal Incentives, Grants & Loans
AGENCY: U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development (RD), Rural Business- Cooperative Service (RBS)
DESCRIPTION: The purpose of this program is to promote sustainable economic development in rural communities with exceptional needs through provision of training and technical assistance for business development, entrepreneurs, and economic development officials, and to assist with economic development planning.
• Eligibility is limited to rural public bodies, rural non-profit corporations, federally-recognized Indian Tribal groups, and cooperatives with primarily rural members.
• Identify and analyze business opportunities; identify and provide technical assistance; establish business support centers; conduct local community or multi-county economic development planning; establish centers for training, technology and trade; conduct leadership training; pay reasonable fees for professional services.
• Maximum Program Benefits: Grant.
• $50,000 for a project serving a single state; and
• Up to $150,000 for a project serving two or more states.
• Must be able to show that the funding will result in economic development of a rural area.
• Rural is defined as areas under 50,000 in population. Priority is given to applications for projects in rural communities of 25,000 in population and under.
• Funds may not be used for:
• Duplication o fcurrent services or replace or substitute support previous provided;
• Pay costs of preparation of application;
• Costs incurred prior to effective date of the grant;
• Fund political activities; or
• Acquisition of real estate, building construction or development.
• For more information, visit http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rbs/busp/rbog.htm.